The ethics of lying
Apr. 7th, 2026 12:32 pmA few months from now, my wife and I are going on another cruise.
If you remember a few years ago when we went to Africa, there was a lot of trouble with us reaching the ship which involved cabs, getting lost, police shakedowns and such.
https://fbhjr.dreamwidth.org/1527325.html
https://fbhjr.dreamwidth.org/1530405.htm
Or
https://fbhjr.livejournal.com/1532464.html
https://fbhjr.livejournal.com/1535582.html
Even in Dublin last year we had trouble. No where near as much as in Africa, but still.
https://fbhjr.dreamwidth.org/1607867.html or https://fbhjr.livejournal.com/1610537.html
The only time we didn’t have an issue was when the cruise company took care of all the details. But, in previous years they insisted on the plane, the hotel, the ground transportation and demanded an immense amount of money for it. I said no, I’ll be shaken down by the police for less. (And, it was about $3000 less per person…)
This time, our cruise planner said “we can bring you from the airport to the ship for $200”.
“Great!” I said. “We’ll be there the day before the cruise and you can pick us up!”
But, their answer was “No. We’ll only pick you up if you stay at one of our hotels or fly in the day the ship leaves”.
Now, I’m left with the question “If we fly in the day before, stay at the airport hotel, and walk back over to the arrivals building the day of the cruise, how will they know?”
The flight we’re taking is a daily flight. It arrives every morning at 10:30 AM. How will they know we walked over from the hotel? We can just say “oh, sorry, we must have walked past you. Never mind we seem awake, showered and ready to go…”
I’ve been rewatching The Good Place lately: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good_Place
One of the characters in there maintains it is wrong to lie under any circumstances, including lying to demons trying to get you sent to hell.
So, is it wrong to lie to a cruise sales person to make a 70km drive easier?
Rome isn’t Durban. Or, Dublin.
Maybe it’s only places that start with D…
I’m still pondering the lie.
no subject
Date: 2026-04-08 12:12 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-04-08 04:28 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-04-08 01:48 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-04-08 12:06 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-04-08 01:39 pm (UTC)I’ve arranged travel in more than a dozen countries over decades. I’m sure I get get a ride the 70km from the airport to the ship. But, I do continue to be surprised at how the cruise line resists helping with that. Once you’re on the ship, they’re great and help you with everything. Before and after, they just don’t care.
no subject
Date: 2026-04-08 01:50 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-04-08 01:50 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-04-08 01:47 pm (UTC)so i may be biased, but i recommend the lie.
no subject
Date: 2026-04-08 02:09 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-04-08 02:47 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-04-08 03:05 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-04-09 12:40 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-04-09 06:03 pm (UTC)